Wednesday, June 18, 2008

WHAT CAN I DO ??????????

Hey.... Now help me figure this out...
Monday,16th June was the last date for submission of the interim report. We had to give a description of what we had done till now and what we were supposed to do in the remaining five weeks of our internship period. Sounds fairly simple and routine...

But...

Nothing is simple, I guess, especially when it comes to me ... My intern is at a civil engineering firm and so even after five weeks I was not able to find myself a project decent enough to show at IIT. So, I came up with an exit strategy... that is where the word "Tentative" helped me out. I gave a tentative plan that I would end up going to Mumbai for a couple of weeks and then remaining internship will be at Kullu and that I would know about my project there on arrival. Nice... I said to myself, thinking that I was able to buy out some time.

Mild Shock ... My supervisor asks me to call him... I get confused because before that he was very cool and did not care much... So, why... all of a sudden... why does he want me to call him???? That thought was what kept on coming in mind for a few hours at least before I slept...
The next Morning I called him up and found out the reason ... He wanted to pay me a visit, just to check out the company..."Routine stuff"...he said. So, he said " Please let me know about 5-8 days in advance about when you will be leaving for Kullu, so that I can accordingly make my plan "
Hats off to him... I thought... going for a vacation in Kullu at IIT expenses... Brilliant....
But why would I care...

Time passed by ... I was not able to meet my company's CEO to confirm my plan ... So on 16th June, I submitted my "Tentative" report...

MAJOR SHOCK... Today... 18th June... DO OR DIE... I have to meet the CEO at all costs .... So, I spent a fortune on calls throughout the morning just to fix up a meeting... " He is in a meeting" ... " He is having lunch"... " he is busy"........and the list goes on ........This is what I got...
But "DO OR DIE" attitude more often than not gets the best out of you... So, I decided to barge into the office comewhat may ... 3 PM .... I reach there... And am made to sit in the waiting room... Time passes... finally after waiting for an hour, the great guy calls me in...

3 pm.... CEO's Office...

CEO: "How may I help you"
Me: " Sir, I need to give a confirmed plan to my supervisor as to what I will be doing in the remaining part of my internship. And, I was hoping to get a project in which I would give some 'technical insights' ... As that is what is required of us at IIT. "
CEO:" Ok. I understand. I have a perfect project for you ........................................" He went on and on about some slope stabilisation thing ... Completely civil... Nothing registered in my head...
He brags about the project.. 500MW something something.... 2000 Crore something something....4 crore something something... that s all I can remember....

Me: " Sir, is there anything for a mechanical engineer to do in this"
CEO ( Excited) : " YES ! Drilling... ........ ..... .... .. . ...... ....." And off he went.... something something.... America something something.... Switzerland something something....Power something something..... Colanco something something....Thats again as much as I could understand...

CEO: " OK. So you have a project. Anything else."
Me: " Yes sir, I thought you were going to send me to Kullu, So in my interim report I wrote about that and now my supervisor wants to visit me over there. "
CEO: " ASK YOUR SUPERVISOR TO VISIT HERE"
(silence... was amused and that was showing on my face)

CEO: " Ok. do you want to go to Kullu"
Me: "only if I can get a project over there, else I would prefer this slope one"
CEO: " Ok, then forget about his visit. From now on, I am your supervisor and YOU REPORT DIRECTLY TO ME and I will GIVE YOU ALL THE CERTIFICATION THAT YOU NEED AT IIT. Fine ? "

<
Flashback moment.....
In the report, we were also asked to submit the resume of our supervisor in the company and to whom we report... I, of course, did not have one.... So, I told the Chief Administrating officer CAO about this, and she said, get it from any mechanical engineer on site and that should suffice... So, I began my search for a mechanical engineer... Hard to believe but I had not come across many in the first four weeks of my intern... Finally, I met a guy named ' Rajeev Kumar Singh' and he was kind enough to give me his resume, although he did not have his visiting card but I thought resume is good enough for now... So I was able to find my training supervisor...

Got his resume... and his signature on my training certificate..YIPPEE... ONE PROBLEM SOLVED...I have a supervisor in the company....IIT cant do anything now...
>

(someone knocks on the door and I realize where I am)

CEO: "So, is it OK, Young Man ? "
Me: " YES SIR ! THANK YOU "... I said while leaving....

Now, Help me out... if only he would have met me a week before ( I had been trying to fix up a meeting with him for the past 2 weeks) ... It would have been a piece of cake for me... But... Now, after I have submitted the report and made everything official, suddenly, everything changes... My PIF form, Supervisor, Project, Project Location.... EVERYTHING !!!!
One more thing... the training coordinator at IIT ... He also is already psyched up at me for a disaster that happened in the last semester ( most of you would be knowing).... And now this... He would again have an opportunity to blast at me... pretty similar to what he did, when i went to submit the interim report, and yeah, at that time, he had no opportunity to do anything to me... But, this time around, the report and then what I did afterwards... That will surely be his pretext and I might again be left stranded in the middle of nowhere... Me and my smile... The same reaction I gave at the interim report submission... Just help me cover up my smile...

6 comments:

kritika said...

awwwwwwwwwww..... expect the worse and u'll get the worst(why is it that this is always true in your case:))
You know what you should be happy that the CEO of the company is your supervisor!!!!

MS said...

see... the philosophy is simple... "Hope for the best but prepare for the worst" .... Thats my mantra... But I always end up with the worst thing.... so what can i do in that case ?

MS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MS said...

and i know it is gud that the CEO is my supervisor ... but the point is NOW ... after everything was settled and all..... NOW ... NOW ... NOW...starting se hone mein kya fight thi ?????

Sagar Singh said...

saale tension mat le itna :P

anonymous.soul said...

kya be...
bole to bhai hone ka matlab no tension... :P
itnaa bhi nahi samjhaa kya tu when u were inducted and confirmed to be a bhai... :D

lol